ARI J. SONNEBERG
The Wagner Law Group, A Professional Corporation, Boston, MA. February 2001 – Present
Employee Benefits, ERISA, Taxation, and Executive Compensation – Advising clients regarding all aspects of qualified and nonqualified employee benefit plans. Representing clients with respect to a wide array of employee benefit related matters.
- Drafting, designing, amending and restating of qualified and non-qualified employee benefit plans and related trusts, including money purchase pension plans, profit sharing plans, 401(k) plans, defined benefit plans, welfare benefit plans, medical expense reimbursement cafeteria plans, 403(b) plans, and nonqualified deferred compensation plans.
- Advising clients concerning compliance of existing employee benefit plans.
- Terminating qualified defined benefit and defined contribution plans including orphaned plans and plans under the control of bankruptcy trustees.
- Preparing submissions to the Internal Revenue Service under various correction programs.
- Advising clients on HIPAA compliance matters
- Consulting with respect to such matters as participant loans, distributions, rollovers and qualified domestic relation orders.
- Responsible for various governmental filings with the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
- Negotiations with governmental agencies concerning certain benefit plan filings.
- Representation of and negotiations on behalf of clients under Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor audit.
Day, Berry & Howard, Boston, MA. October 2000 – January 2001
- Reviewed and analyzed ground leases with respect to the commercial development of free standing CVS stores, including related subleases.
- Analyzed issues relating to insurance, condemnation, assignment, subletting, percentage rent, use restrictions and operating covenants, termination rights, environmental conditions and liability issues.
- Analyzed and made recommendations with respect to appropriate provisions for subordination, non-disturbance and mutual attornment rights as affecting ground lessors, ground lessees, subtenants and leasehold mortgagees.
Rosenfeld & Maidenbaum, Cedarhurst, NY. April 1995 – September 2000
- Negotiated and drafted distribution agreements for international corporations.
- Prepared articles of incorporation and formation of new and existing businesses. Drafted documents for the sale of securities.
- Conducted research for and wrote motions submitted to the Court in commercial and real estate matters. Prepared and negotiated leases and contracts of sale, and supervised closings of real estate transactions.
- Successfully represented clients at settlement negotiations and at commercial and residential real estate tax Small Claims Assessment Review hearings.
Honorable Charles E. Ramos, Supreme Court, New York County, Commercial Part, New York, NY. Summer 1998.
Law Clerk, Brooklyn Law School Judicial Clinic
- Researched and drafted decisions for motions to dismiss as well as for discovery motions from various major commercial cases.
- Prepared memorandums and briefs for use by the Judge.
- Observed court sessions and attained settlement conferences regularly.
Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, NY. Juris Doctor, June 2000
CUNY Queens College, Flushing, NY. Bachelor of the Arts in Political Science, magna cum laude, February 1997
Honors: Dean's List (all semesters), Honors in Political Science, Golden Key National Honor Society, Business and Liberal Arts Honors Program – Student Representative.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Bar Association Membership
Massachusetts Bar Association – Appointed to Taxation Law Section Council (2001 - Present) and Chair of the ERISA Section Practice Group, Massachusetts Bar Association (2001 - 2005)
American Bar Association
"The Impact of the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 on 401(k) Plans," Massachusetts Bar Association Section Review, Volume 4, Number 3, Summer 2002
"Termination of Tax-Qualified Defined Contribution Retirement Benefit Plans," (PDF) UBS Financial Services Seminar, August 5, 2011 (Palm Beach Gardens, Florida)
"Advising Your Clients Regarding Small Business Retirement Plans," October 2002, Massachusetts Bar
Association (Boston, MA) – Program chair and speaker
"ERISA: Pension Plan Development and Administration in Massachusetts," November 2002 – Speaker
"Retirement Planning for You and Your Clients," June 2004, Massachusetts Bar Association (Boston, MA) – Speaker
"Drafting Legal Documents," September 2004, Stonehill College (Easton, MA) – Health Care Administration Law course – Guest speaker
"Significant Changes to the Tax Rules Governing Deferred Compensation Arrangements under the American Jobs Creation Act of 2004: What You Need to Know Before December 31, 2004 to Comply With These Important Changes," December 2004, Massachusetts Bar Association – Program Chair and speaker
HONORS & AWARDS
- Rising Star Award, New England Super Lawyers Magazine, 2010 - 2011