Dan S. Brandenburg
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
Dan Brandenburg is sought out by clients for his extensive experience in and knowledge of pension and welfare plans, executive compensation (including plans for tax-exempt organizations) and executive employment matters. He also has substantial experience with association-sponsored member service programs. He represents clients regularly before the IRS, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), and helps clients with the IRS and DOL voluntary compliance programs, and to respond to audits and investigations initiated by IRS, DOL and PBGC.
The Wagner Law Group, A Professional Corporation, Washington, D.C. January 2017 - present
- Counseling clients on all aspects of qualified and nonqualified retirement and deferred compensation plans and arrangements of taxable and tax exempt employers;
- Practice before IRS, DOL and PBGC in examinations, correction programs, and ruling requests;
- Affordable Care Act compliance consulting;
- Business and finance;
- Corporate governance;
- International Employee Benefits;
- Labor and employment;
Saul Ewing, LLP, Washington, D.C., February 2009 - December 31, 2016
Sanders Schnabel & Brandenburg PC, Washington, D.C., January 2, 1973 to February 2009
- District of Columbia
- LL.M. (Taxation), Georgetown University Law Center, 1978
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1975
- B.A., B.S., Rutgers University, 1972
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Vice Chair for the American Bar Association’s Employee Benefits General Committee – 2018/19
- 2017 American Registry “Best of the Best”
- AV Peer Review Rated, Labor & Employment Law, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America list, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2001 to present
- Selected for inclusion in Washington, DC’s Super Lawyers, 2007 to present
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Vice Chair for the Employee Benefits Committee of the Torts, Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 2010 - Present
- Liaison to the Publications Committee for the Section of Taxation from the Employee Benefits Committee of the Section of Taxation, 2017-18.
- The District of Columbia Bar Association, 1975.
- Member, IRS Tax Exempt and Government Entities Employee Plans Mid-Atlantic Area Pension Liaison Group
- Charter Class of Fellows, American College of Employee Benefit Counsel.
- Employers Council on Flexible Compensation (ECFC) Flex Technical Advisory Council
- ECFC's Charter Class of Professionals Certified in Flexible Compensation Instruction
- Board of Trustees, Milton Gottesman Jewish Primary Day School of the Nation’s Capital, 2016 - Present
- Association Health Plans and Short-Term Limited-Duration Health Insurance – Dan Brandenburg, panelist on the Technical Advisory Group Rapid Response Panel at the 37th ECFC Annual Conference, March 14 -18, 2-18, Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
- More details here
- Status of the DOL Fiduciary Conflict of Interest Rule as it Applies to HSAs that are Part of a High Deductible Health Plan - The ECFC Flex Reporter, Volume 21, Number 3, September 2017
- The Effect as of July 6, 2017 of the DOL Fiduciary Conflict of Interest Rule on HSA Custodians, Trustees and Fiduciaries of HSAs that are part of a High Deductible Health Plan, ECFC Teleconference Series, July 12, 2017 - Speaker.
- Postponement of the ERISA Fiduciary Rules on ERISA Investments Background and Possible Impact, The ECFC Flex Reporter, Volume 21, No. 1, March 2017
- Overview of the New Fiduciary Rule with Respect to Individual Retirement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts and its Effect on Employers and Advisors - American Bar Association’s Summer TIPS Employee Benefits Law Committee Newsletter, August 19, 2016
- The New ERISA Fiduciary Rules, Impact on HSAs and HSA Service Providers - ECFC Flex Reporter, June 30, 2016
- The Supreme Court Ruled on Health Reform – Now What Is An Employer to Do? - American Bar Association Employee Benefits Law Committee Newsletter, January 7, 2013
- A Hot Issue in Employee Benefits in America – The DOL Proposes an Expanded Definition of Fiduciary - International Pension Lawyer, Volume 73., October 21, 2011