ELLEN D. STONE, ESQ.
The Wagner Law Group, A Professional Corporation, Boston, Massachusetts May, 2016
Responsible for consulting with firm clients on a wide variety of issues, including statutory, regulatory, fiduciary, administrative and operational issues with respect to qualified retirement plans, tax-sheltered annuities, nonqualified deferred compensation, and welfare plans.
- Represent clients during IRS, DOL and PBGC audits of employee benefit plans
- Draft plan amendments for qualified and nonqualified retirement plans
- Prepare private letter ruling requests involving failed IRA rollovers
- Participate as court-appointed independent fiduciary to administer trust holding life insurance policies
KPMG, LLP, Boston, Massachusetts 2015 – April, 2016
Manager, Global Mobility Services
Provided home and host country ERISA, employee benefits and tax compliance services triggered around KPMG’s clients’ mobile workforce, ranging from short-term business travelers to U.S. expatriates and foreign nationals.
The Wagner Law Group, A Professional Corporation, Boston, Massachusetts 2013 – 2015
Same as above.
Philips Electronics North America Corporation, Andover, Massachusetts 2011 – 2012
- Interim Senior Benefits Counsel. Provided legal advice to human resource and benefits personnel regarding compliance with federal tax laws governing employee benefit plans.
- Ensured compliance with laws affecting qualified plans as well as welfare benefit plans by providing guidance on administrative issues arising under such plans; temporary member of various appeals committees
- Provided guidance on mergers and acquisitions regarding integration of and implementation of pension and welfare plans of acquired entities
- Provided legal advice to "named fiduciaries" responsible for plan assets and plan administration
The Derby Company, Newton, Massachusetts 2009 - 2010
- Updated defined contribution plan documents for tax law changes (EGTRRA).
- Coordinated restatement of 300+ plans within six months, completing project 30 days ahead of schedule
Law Firm of Ellen D. Stone, Natick, Massachusetts 2006 - 2009
- Founded and built tax practice concentrating in employee benefit plans and estate planning. Employee benefit practice included plan administration, plan interpretation, ERISA reporting and disclosure as well as benefit plan taxation.
- Advised businesses on employee benefits related issues, including issues arising under Massachusetts Health Care Reform Act, Section 409A and COBRA
- Prepared comprehensive estate planning documents such as wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and health care proxies
- Developed a networking base of clients, accountants and attorneys resulting in repeat and referral business
Burke & Burke, Sherborn, Massachusetts 2004 - 2006
- Participated in all aspects of a general transactional business practice with emphasis on estate planning, probate and real estate transactions.
- Guided families through estate planning process
- Prepared estate and fiduciary tax returns and probate filings
- Represented mortgage lenders, purchasers and sellers in residential real estate transactions
Bentley University, Waltham, Massachusetts 2001 – 2002
Taught pension law course for the School of Continuing Education & Professional Studies.
Fresenius Medical Care, Lexington, Massachusetts 1997 - 2001
Assistant General Counsel
- Assured company’s continued compliance with federal tax laws governing employee benefit plans
- Performed due diligence review of benefit plans and programs of to-be-acquired entities
- Provided legal counsel to the "named fiduciaries" responsible for plan assets and plan administration
Watson Wyatt Worldwide, Wellesley, Massachusetts 1995 - 1997
Drafted qualified retirement plans, summary plan descriptions, cafeteria plans and VEBAs. Prepared QDRO manual for clients and determination letter filings.
Hutchins, Wheeler & Dittmar, Boston, Massachusetts 1993 - 1995
Advised clients regarding ERISA compliance matters and plan administration issues; drafted both qualified and nonqualified plans as well as cafeteria plans. Prepared client newsletters.
Reid & Reige, P.C., Hartford, Connecticut 1990 - 1992
Participated in providing tax advice to clients. Researched issues relating to qualified plans as well as individual and partnership taxation.
Dewey Ballantine, Los Angeles, California 1987 - 1989
Invited to join firm following summer associate position. Represented institutional lenders in commercial real estate transactions.
Sawin Trust, Town of Sherborn, Sherborn, Massachusetts 2010 to present
Trustee (elected position)
Manage investments and administer testamentary trust supporting enrichment programs for local school. Collaborate with community leaders to solicit fund requests and approve trust expenditures.
Town of Sherborn, Sherborn, Massachusetts 2004 - 2007
Personnel Board Member
Assisted with job descriptions for town employees, conducted salary and benefit surveys, formulated overtime and part time policies, responded to issues involving hours, salaries and pay equity.
Master of Laws, Taxation 1990
New York University School of Law, New York, New York
Juris Doctor 1983
Western New England School of Law, Springfield, Massachusetts
Bachelor of Arts • Mathematics 1979
Hamilton College, Clinton, New York 1979