Michael J. Burwick
Estate Planning and Administration
The Wagner Law Group, A Professional Corporation, Boston, Massachusetts. September 2018 -
- Advising clients with respect to capital gains liability concomitant to the disposition of highly appreciated assets, fully-leveraged employee stock ownership plan (“ESOP”) transactions, public and private offerings, crowd sourcing and crowd funding and rights offerings
- Providing counsel to clients with respect to the Internal Revenue Code, state and local tax codes, ERISA, the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940, and SEC and FINRA rules and regulations
- Advising broker-dealers, registered investment advisers and asset managers with respect to relevant legal and compliance issues
- Advising clients concerning corporate entity formation and preparing related documentation
- Counseling clients with respect to corporate governance issues and succession matters.
Trust Advisory Group, Ltd. & Advisory Group Equity Services, Ltd., Woburn, Massachusetts General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, December 2017 - September 2018
Administered compliance regime for the company's broker-dealer (Advisory Group Equity Services, Ltd.) and registered investment adviser (Trust Advisory Group, Ltd.) and provided legal counsel to the stakeholders. Regularly utilized securities law, tax law and corporate law skills in dealing with a wide array of legal, compliance and corporate law issues and challenges. Interacted regularly with regulators, issuers, sponsors, registered individuals and others in an effort to ensure that the company and its entities were legal, compliant and ethical.
Burwick Law LLC, Weston, Massachusetts Managing Member, November 2017 - September 2018
Focused on tax law, securities law and corporate law
Hunter Business Law, Tampa, Florida (worked remotely from Massachusetts) Of Counsel, January 2016 to September 2016
Handled an array of corporate, securities and tax matters. Matters included the tax efficient disposition of a multimillion dollar car rental company with a very low basis, the division of an asset rich luxury car racing company into component entities to segment the assets from the potentially risky racing activity, extensive due diligence work relating to many capital raises for prominent venture capital firms and the dissemination of regulatory and legal advice to existing financial services firms. Composed and negotiated numerous offerings documents, private placement memoranda, operating agreements, shareholder agreements, term sheets, and other legal documents pertaining to portfolio companies, VC, PE and other funds that take positions in such enterprises and SPVs that invest in such funds and have conducted additional due diligence on numerous prospective offerings and ventures.
Day Pitney, LLP, Boston, Massachusetts Counsel, October 2013 to September 2014
- Represented an executive in the life sciences in her pre-merger separation from her longtime employer that included novel issues relating to stock options, valuation of same, and other issues.
- Represented a prominent Registered Investment Adviser in numerous matters relating to vanous investment vehicles and the significant positions that its investors had taken in several publicly traded companies, and several companies with respect to their initial public offerings.
- Represented a Connecticut-based corporation in its disposition of a prime piece of investment grade real estate in New Haven from corporate governance and tax minimization perspectives.
Boston Advisory Group, Inc. and 1031 Property Group, LLC, Boston, Massachusetts Principal, January 2004 to December 2010
Principal attorney for multiple offices of supervisory jurisdiction of a broker-dealer, registered investment adviser, and insurance brokerage. Gained valuable experience in financial services compliance. Enhanced depth and breadth of knowledge with respect to a broad array of products from legal, regulatory, investment, tax, and estate planning perspectives. Through 1031 Property Group, brought more than $2 billion in real estate assets through the 1031 exchange process into actively-managed replacement properties and passive 1031-compliant real estate securities.
The Burwick Law Group, Washington, District of Columbia; Miami, Florida; Boston, Massachusetts Principal, December 1998 to September 2013
Practice focused on small to mid-sized companies, primarily in the financial services industry.
- Defended a registered representative in a FINRA arbitration proceeding in which the claimant was seeking more than SI million.
- Represented a tax strategy firm before FINRA and the Internal Revenue Service together with two national law firms.
- Successfully represented more than one hundred investors in real estate syndications that were in imminent danger of losing their properties (valued at more than S150 million) to foreclosure and total loss of principal.
The United States House of Representatives, Washington, District of Columbia Legal Counsel, January 1997 to November 1998
Served as a legal and policy adviser on domestic and international affairs for several House Members. Helped to obtain increased funding for prevention, early detection, and treatment of breast cancer. Secured funding for a NASA-National Science Foundation public-private partnership for science and math programs for economically challenged students.
The Office of the Florida Attorney General, Fort Lauderdale and Tallahassee, Florida Assistant Attorney General, Division of Civil Litigation, October 1995 to December 1996
Defended civil actions, primarily medical malpractice and civil rights claims, brought against the State of Florida in state and federal courts. Handled a wide range of hearings and discovery requests, including the taking and defense of depositions' interviewed plaintiffs, defendants, witnesses, and others. Docket consisted of more than 125 ongoing civil actions, and succeeded in resolving all matters on behalf of the State.
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia, LL.M. in Taxation, 2012
Activities: President of the Georgetown Tax Council; Advisor and Mentor to The Tax Lawyer, the Official Tax Publication of The American Bar Association
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., LL.M. in Securities Law and Financial Regulation, with Dean's List Honors, 2011
Additional Honors: CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Financial Reporting and Accounting
Activities: Board Member: Georgetown Securities and Financial Law Forum
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., J.D., cum laude, 1995
Additional Honors: Dean's List (All Semesters)
Activities: Editorial Staff: Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics; Board Member: Home Court
Publications: Note, You Dirty Rat! Model Rule 8.3 and Mandatory Reporting of Attorney Misconduct, 8 GEO.
J. LEGAL ETHICS 137 (October 1994).
Boston University, College of Arts and Sciences, Boston, Massachusetts, B.A., Sociology, magna cum laude, with Distinction, 1991
Additional Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Golden Key International Honour Society, Dean's List (All Semesters)
The United States Tax Court; The District of Columbia
Massachusetts (Current Candidate for Admission on Motion)
Boards of Directors:
Autism Speaks (Chair of Corporate Development)
Georgetown Law Advisory Board (Member)
The Spencer Foundation (Chairman)
SIFMA (Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association)
NSCP (National Society of Compliance Professionals)
ADISA (Alternative & Direct Investment Securities Association) and the BBA (Boston Bar Association)
- New associations - Candace Quinn and Michael Burwick, Mass. Lawyers Weekly, September 27, 2018
- The Wagner Law Group Welcomes Attorneys Candace L. Quinn and Michael Burwick - September 17, 2018
- NSCP's Currents
- The Tax Lawyer
- The Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics
- The Jacksonville Business Journal
- The Hilton Head Island Packet
- Bluffton Today
- The Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal
- The New England Real Estate Journal
- The New York Real Estate Journal
- The American Spectator
- The Atlanta Journal Constitution
- The Boston Globe
- The Boston Herald
- 2017 New England Business Brokers' Association Annual Meeting (Keynote Speaker)
- Westborough, MA; 2016-2017 DST Seminar Series (Keynote Speaker)
- National; 2015 NSCP Regional Meeting, New York, NY
- 2014 NSCP Annual Meeting, Washington, DC
- 2014 REISA Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
- 2014 NSCP Regional Meeting, New York, NY
- 2013 Red Flag Seminar, New York, NY
- IMN Conference, New York, NY
- TICA Symposia, Las Vegas, NV, Salt Lake City, UT and San Diego, CA