SHOLOM M. FINE
The Wagner Law Group, P.C., Boston, Massachusetts. Associate, Specializing in ERISA/Employee Benefits Law (March 2006 – Present)
- Responsible for assisting firm clients on a wide variety of issues with respect to qualified and nonqualified retirement plans and welfare plans
- Specific expertise includes:
- Representing clients whose employee plans are under audit by the Internal Revenue Service and/or the U.S. Department of Labor
- Preparing Form 5500 annual filings
- Correcting late Forms 5500 by preparing submissions to the Department of Labor under the Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance Program ("DFVC")
- Preparing Summary Annual Reports ("SAR")
- Correcting the late remittances of employee elective deferrals by preparing submissions to the Department of Labor under the Voluntary Fiduciary Compliance Program ("VFCP")
- Correcting operational and document failures that could otherwise result in plan disqualification under the Internal Revenue Service's Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System ("EPCRS")
- Calculating excise tax on prohibited transactions and preparing Form 5330 filings, and excise tax submissions under the Internal Revenue Service's Employee Plans Voluntary Closing Agreements program ("EPVCAP")
- Preparing Form 5300/5310 determination letter applications to the Internal Revenue Service
- Drafting plan documents/SPDs
- Managing the termination and administration of orphaned plans, including distributions of account balances to participants
- Drafting various welfare plan documents (e.g., premium only plans, SPDs) and employer administrative forms (e.g., COBRA, beneficiary designation)
Littler Mendelson, P.C., Boston, Massachusetts. August – November 2005
Conducted legal research and wrote memoranda regarding a wide variety of labor and employment law matters.
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Hon. Bruce M. Selya, Providence, Rhode Island. March – May 2005
- Assisted in preparation for oral arguments by writing and presenting case summaries.
- Wrote a draft opinion in an immigration case, and conducted research for other opinions.
- Additional research topics included Indian law and criminal law.
United States Attorney's Office, Criminal Division, Boston, Massachusetts. August – November 2004
- Conducted legal research and wrote memoranda regarding a variety of issues for the Economic Crimes Unit, including sentencing guidelines, conspiracy, and evidentiary matters.
- Assisted with negotiation of plea agreements.
Al Jazeera TV, Lost 401(k) $, October 28, 2013
Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, MA, Juris Doctor May 2006
Beth Medrash Govoha, Lakewood, NJ, M.S., Talmudic and Rabbinic Literature, June 1992, B.S., Talmudic and Rabbinic Literature, June 1989.
ADMISSION TO PRACTICE
Massachusetts Bar, 2006